Spring has sprung, it has been over a year since the pandemic started, and we are still here! Woohoo!
Here are our most recent impact updates so you can all see where your purchases are going (besides cute suits!):
1. Surfrider Foundation: We were able to help support Surfrider Foundation, which is a U.S. 501 grassroots non-profit environmental organization that works to protect and preserve the world's oceans, waves and beaches. It focuses on water quality, beach access, beach and surf spot preservation, and sustaining marine and coastal ecosystems. Important for surfers and non-surfers alike! We want our kids and our kids' kids and so on to be able to enjoy the beach as much as we have been able to.
2. Trees for The Future: We helped support this amazing org which, to date, has planted over 65 million trees worldwide in 30 countries and has served over 11,000 villages around the world. Trees for the Future provides free distance and agroforestry training and education; works in conjunction with over 53 specialists who are experts in agroforestry, community development, sustainable agriculture, women in development and youth education, land use, livestock management, provides in-country seed distribution, and; works on natural resource management. They pledge to plant 500 million trees by 2025. Talk about carbon offsetting, eh?
3. No Us Without You (@nouswithoutyou): If you haven't heard about this group, definitely take the time to look them up. No Us Without You is a 501c3 group that provides food security for the undocumented immigrants who are the backbone of the hospitality industry in the greater Los Angeles area. "These hard-working women and men who have, for years, fulfilled the unforgiving back of house restaurant positions, now find themselves in the vulnerable position of being unemployed, with little to no government assistance." With your help, they were able to help feed 10 families during the pandemic.
4. Women's Global Empowerment Fund: You all already know about this one if you've been following along! "Investing in women and families by creating a social network, provides not only economic opportunities, but educational opportunities as well. This can help women to build livelihoods and a brighter future for the entire family. The unique potential of microfinance lies in its ability to create a platform for identifying and addressing the challenges facing underserved families." Women supporting women will never get old!
5. Fruits of Labor Food Bank for Farm Workers: This organization uses our donations to provide grocery bags filled with fruits and vegetables to assist these communities of farm workers who suffer from food insecurity and sometimes have to choose between food or paying rent. It’s about time farmworkers get to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Each bag is filled with produce and other groceries to help the food insecurity problem in the farmworker communities.
Thank you all for the ongoing love and support, it is so appreciated! Your purchases go far beyond this small business, so we just want to keep y'all updated!
We dropped some new colors in the shop for the Kelia Top, Jazzy Bottoms and Justina Bottoms! Check it out in store: Candy Apple Red, Mustard, and Sea Foam (our personal fav!). Unfortunately, the fabric manufacturer will be discontinuing the Stormy Seas, Electric Blue, and Deep Seas colors, so those will not be restocked.
We also have a couple new one piece suits, and are proud to announce we are carrying reef safe sunscreen too!
Introducing Mama Kuleana Sunscreen (reef safe, non toxic and eco friendly!), made in the USA!
Here are the ingredients (nothing out of the ordinary here, YES!):
Active Ingredient - Zinc Oxide 13% (Non-nano particle)
Inactive Ingredients - *Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, **Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cera Alba (Beeswax), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Oil, *Daucus Carota Stavia (Carrot) Seed Oil, Rosa Rubiginosa (Rose Hip) Seed Oil, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Seed Oil, *Boswellia Carterii (Frankincense) Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Aloha *Organic, **Wild-Harvested
Even better bonus: the screw top bio jars are 100% microplastic free, fully biodegradable and compostable!
Some tips from Mama Kuleana for the conscious consumer:
"You can become a conscious consumer by being aware of the harmful ingredients that manufacturers put in their products. The term “Reef Safe” is unregulated and misused by many large companies. By removing certain ingredients (oxybenzone and octinoxate) from their formulas, companies are operating within legal parameters in Hawaii. The problem is that other harmful reef killing ingredients are not removed before these same companies label a product “reef safe” or “reef friendly”. This can be confusing for consumers. Please stop looking for a sticker to designate a product reef safe. FLIP THE BOTTLE and READ THE INGREDIENTS.
Certain ingredients have been shown to cause complete coral bleaching and to disrupt human hormones, even at extremely low concentrations.
The following list of ingredients should NEVER be used:
AVOID: Oxybenzone • Octinoxate • Octocrylene • Homosalate • Octisalate • Avobenzone • Parabens • Phthalates • Cocamide DEA • Propylene Glycol • Phenoxyethanol • Nano-Particles • BHT • PEGs • Fragrance"
We have personally been using and testing it out ourselves for the last few months to ensure we LOVE it and the verdict is in! This is amazing stuff!
Stay tuned for our Spring and Summer Collection drops coming your way in May-June! As always, stay safe, have fun, and take care of yourselves and each other!