Happy New Year, Do Good Fam!
We are so grateful for all of your support and kind words over this past year. We couldn't do this without you!
As we do every quarter, we've done a round up to show you where your dollars go when you shop with us. Here are our most recent impact updates so you can go forth looking good, doing good, and feeling good!
1. Surfrider Foundation: We continue to support Surfrider Foundation, which is a U.S. 501 grassroots non-profit environmental organization that works to protect and preserve the world's oceans, waves and beaches. It focuses on water quality, beach access, beach and surf spot preservation, and sustaining marine and coastal ecosystems.
2. Girls Inc. Girls Inc. focuses on youth development to help them learn to value themselves, take risks, and discover and develop inherent strengths. The combination of long-lasting mentoring relationships, a pro-girl environment, and evidence-based programming equips girls to navigate gender, economic, and social barriers, and grow up healthy, educated, and independent.
3. Dig Deep/ Navajo Water Project: Access to water should be a basic human right but it is not the case for many of our Indigenous brothers and sisters. The Navajo Water Project is a community-managed utility alternative that brings hot and cold running water to homes without access to water or sewer lines. "We do this primarily by installing our off-grid Home Water Systems, investing in more effective septic systems, skilled job creation, and even making grants to individuals and communities stepping up to solve their own water challenges through the Water is Life Fund." Amazing work going on!
4. Trees for The Future: This amazing organization has planted over 65 million trees worldwide in 30 countries and has served over 11,000 villages around the world. Trees for the Future provides free distance and agroforestry training and education; works in conjunction with over 53 specialists who are experts in agroforestry, community development, sustainable agriculture, women in development and youth education, land use, livestock management, provides in-country seed distribution, and; works on natural resource management.
5. Ugandan Skateboard Community: This nonprofit is working on building a skatepark to support their growing community of skaters! Check them out on Instagram @ugandaskateboardcommunity.
Reflections on the past year and upcoming year:
Looking back on this year, through the ups and the downs, we are grateful for all of it. It is truly amazing what we can do when we connect with others that share similar values and when we all work together towards a common goal. It's exciting to see bigger brands work towards sustainability also (be sure to check out their processes to avoid brands that greenwash), but we are really thankful to have you all supporting all small business too.
Our New Year's resolutions this year include: slowing down, finding the balance between work and play, and finding more ways to take care of the Earth (hopefully hosting more in person beach clean ups/ surf meets when there's a better handle on the pandemic!) We also really hope to find a way to recycle swimwear at the end of its life, and will continue to search for solutions! (For the time being, we recommend donating your used swim or cutting it up and turning it into scrunchies, small bags, and other creative ways to give it another life!)
In the works:
We've got a few new styles being released (and some twists on our classic pieces) for Spring and Summer 2022 and have been hard at work on designing with some of our favorite female artists. We can't wait to show you all what we've been working on and hope you love it!
Cheers to you all, and wishing all a great year ahead!